A half-day training session designed to help raise your awareness of mental health.
Through a mix of presentations, group discussions and workshop activities, the session is designed to give you:
- An understanding of what mental health is, and how to challenge stigma
- The ability to recognise when you, or somebody you work with, may be experiencing mental health issues
- A basic knowledge of some common mental health issues
- An introduction to looking after your own mental health
- The confidence to interact with someone in distress, or who may be experiencing a mental health issue
Topics covered in this session will include:
- What is mental health?
- Mental and emotional wellbeing
- Mental health continuum
- Stress vulnerability and stress container
- Thinking distortions
- Mental health conditions recovery
- Anxiety disorders
- Psychosis and schizophrenia
- Bipolar disorder
- Eating disorders
- Mental health and risk: suicide and self-harm
- Stigma and mental health issues
- Supporting people in distress
- Take Ten Together toolkit
- Helpful resources and useful statistics
Upon completion of this course you will receive a Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) manual to keep and refer to whenever you need it. You will also receive a certificate to say you are MHFA Aware.
Mental Health Aware is being held on Thursday 22nd November, from 9am to 1pm, at The Gateway, Yeovil. Admission is £40.