Doing Good Deeds Together in Wincanton
If you've given your time to a good cause before, you'll know about the benefits it can bring. Not only is it giving something back to the community, it can also build self-esteem, help friendships blossom and improve your job prospects.
At Spark Somerset, we believe everyone should have the opportunity to enjoy the benefits of volunteering. We would like to buddy up volunteers so that those who need a helping hand get it. To start with we are testing the waters in Wincanton, with the hopes of spreading the project across Somerset.
Some of the people needing help might be:
- Young people struggling to find their place in the adult world because of social, emotional or learning difficulties.
- Those suffering from long term ill health (mental or physical).
- People who can't use technology to find suitable voluteering opportunities.
- The long term unemployed.
The kind of support that might be offered:
- Help finding a suitable good cause to support.
- Introductions- going with a volunteer for initial meetings with charities.
- Emotional support and encouragement- provided on an ongoing basis until the volunteer feels confident volunteering alone.
- Practical support- supporting someone with a physical disability so that they can complete tasks in the volunteering setting.
If you would like to get involved, you can give as little or as much time as suits you. We'll try to buddy volunteers with similar interests and you can spend time working for a local cause that's important to you. Support and guidance will be provided by the Spark Somerset team and training and DBS checks will be carried out if necessary.
If you would like to find out more, please get in touch! Send an email to Helen Fielden, Volunteer Development Officer at email@example.com or call 07535 800944.